If you’ve ever suffered from missing or extracted teeth, you might have come across the term “dental implants”. But what exactly are these structures? This comprehensive guide from Weston Super Mare dentists will help you understand dental implants and their importance in restoring your perfect smile.
Defined simply, dental implants are artificial roots usually made from titanium which are implanted in your jawbone to replace missing teeth. Because the implants are secured in your jaw, they efficiently provide a stable base for artificial teeth or bridges, offering a permanent solution for tooth loss.
The dental implantation procedure involves several stages. Initially, a detailed investigation is conducted by your dentist involving a complete dental check-up, comprehensive medical history, x-rays, and sometimes computer tomography scans (CT scans). This elaborate process helps establish the specific location and depth of the implant.
The second stage of the procedure involves surgically implanting the metal post into your jawbone, mimicking the root of a tooth. This will be left to heal for several months – a process referred to as osseointegration. During this time, the implants will fuse with your bone, ensuring a stable and sturdy foundation for your new tooth.
Once the osseointegration process is complete, the abutment is added. An abutment is a small connector post that securely holds the new tooth. Finally, the new replacement tooth (also known as a crown), custom-made to match your natural teeth, is attached to the abutment.
The dental professionals of Weston Super Mare intricately design the implants to ensure they blend in with your remaining teeth and maintain the natural appeal of your smile. The process may seem lengthy; however, the long-term benefits make it a worthwhile investment.
Dental implants offer unquestionable advantages over other tooth replacement options. The key benefits include:
1. Improved Appearance: Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. Since they’re designed to fuse with bone, they become a permanent fixture.
2. Enhanced Speech: With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within your mouth, causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the dentist weston worry of your teeth slipping out.
3. Easier Eating: Unlike sliding dentures, dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without discomfort.
4. Durability: With proper care, dental implants can last many years or even a lifetime.
5. Improved Self-esteem: Dental implants can give you back your smile, and help you feel better about yourself.
The Weston Super Mare dentists further highlight the necessity to follow good oral hygiene post getting implants. This includes regular brushing, flossing, rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash, and regular dental check-ups to ensure the longevity of the implant.
In conclusion, dental implants from Weston Super Mare Dentists are a proven, permanent solution to missing teeth. They not only restore your smile, but also your confidence, and contribute to overall oral health. Trust our professionals to guide you through the process and help you get back that perfect, natural-looking smile. While dental implant care might require an extra effort, the natural look, improved comfort, and change in lifestyle are definitely worth it.